These may look like harmless cupcakes, but they are seriously sweet and indulgent. They definitely fall under the 'special occasions' category but are still pretty easy to make.
1 1/2 cups pain flour
1 cup maltesers*
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 tbs of baking powder
3/4 cup of sour cream
1tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup softened butter
1/4 cup milk
2-4 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup golden syrup (or brown sugar)
1. In a large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients except for the maltesers.
2. In a separate bowl whisk together all the wet ingredients.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and beat together with an electric mixer. Crush the cup of maltesers and fold through the mixture.
4. Pour into lined cupcake pan, filling each one about 3/4 full.
5. To make the icing beat together the softened butter, milk and 2 cups of the icing sugar.
6. Gradually add more icing sugar until you reach a good consistency - I like to lean toward thicker, because I'm terrified of my icing melting off my cakes!
7. Add the golden syrup or brown sugar to give it a subtle caramel flavour. I wanted to try adding malt powder to continue with the malteser theme but didn't have any on hand. If you try it, let me know how it tastes!
*If you live in a country that doesn't have maltesers (you poor thing!) you can really use any kind of chocolate candy for this recipe, try crushing up butterfingers or peanut butter m&ms, or just ye' old faithful chocolate chips.